Norman McLaren - Type
Posted by Jenn | Posted in 3rd Year Posts, research | Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009
In 1959 there was a chat show hosted by Jack Paar, and to celebrate the success of this chat show, McLaren was asked to design and direct the title sequence and the credit sequence for an anniversary one off named 'The Wonderful World Of Jack Paar'.
I have been looking at other works by Norman Mclaren for different areas of my Multimedia pathway, I would never have thought to look at McLarens work for my type research. However, I came across these images in a book and found it very typical of McLarens style of bringing random marks to life.
It is difficult to see from these images the detail of the stills, however you still get a sense of how the letterforms are flowing and moving around one another. I like this style of representing type - It is fun and creative and grabs the audiences attention from the very beginning which I admire.
The letterforms 'Spring to Life' and become characters in their own right. The letters begin to play and dance with each other, whilst performing the task of spelling out the names and words involved in the show.
I have found it difficult to find the actual footage of the title sequence, but I do have stills to represent the style in which McLaren organised these letterforms:-

It is difficult to see from these images the detail of the stills, however you still get a sense of how the letterforms are flowing and moving around one another. I like this style of representing type - It is fun and creative and grabs the audiences attention from the very beginning which I admire.
Comments (0)
Post a Comment