Something That Needs Nothing
Posted by Jenn | Posted in 3rd Year Posts, research | Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009
I went to a screening on Thursday 1st October at Revolution in Manchester and saw some really nice, entertaining short films.
One film that I was drawn to (Mainly because of my self-directed project about representing the body in mysterious ways) was 'Dad's Dead' (2003)which is a 7 minute animation by Chris Shephard. Because the piece revolves around fragmented memories of his friend from the past, one technique is to distort some of the faces and another techniques to keep the audience immersed is the dingy and dark atmosphere that he creates from the manipulating of live-action footage and effect he uses.
Another short film that was supposed to be shown at this event is called 'Sebastians Voodoo' (2009) by Joaquin Baldwin, which is done in CGI and is 4 minutes long. This film has won many awards - and I can see why! However, the screening that I went to did not show this piece and i'm not too sure why - maybe they were running out of time? But I went on youtube and saw the piece for myself and thought that it was definitely the wrong decision not to show it at Revolution!! Comparing it to the other short films it is definitely the best out of the lot.
Even though CGI is not the area I would like to pursue, it is still a piece that oozes atmosphere and Baldwin gives something a character. The Voodoo Dolls come to life and as the film goes on it really pulls at the heart strings that these dolls are dying. I think it is very clever how Baldwin has produced this - to give an object that an audience would usually discard their emotional feelings for a character and turn those feelings into hope and sadness is a real talent! He took his audience through a journey - and created an end result of a suprising emotion that no one was expecting.

Comments (0)
Post a Comment