Ben Wilkinson - Film Student Work

Posted by Jenn | Posted in , , | Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ben Wilkinson is currently studying a Graphic Design/Animation degree in Australia. He has created a short film called 'House Of Cards' which looks at the subject of Depression/Loneliness in a different way.

House of Cards from Ben Wilkinson on Vimeo.


I like the idea of representing a subject using things you wouldn't normally associate with the subject. I think it reflects a good sense of creativity. In his description he mentions 'Each card that is focussed upon is symbolic of an emotion that the character cannot escape' He has successfully represented the atmosphere of feeling trapped i think, especially with the use of close-ups on the structure of the house of cards.
Another part of his description I was drawn to was 'Contrasting the different way each card scene was framed was symbolic of isolation versus overcrowding. This was specifically evident when the colour was adjusted to the existing lighting so that each scene was ‘cut off to the world’ as they were surrounded by darkness. A lonesome card surrounded by an abyss of blackness is bound to produce isolation.' I quite like his way of looking at Isolation, and the different techniques he has explored when trying to create this atmosphere. This has given me the inspiration to consider exploring the idea of using different objects to give them characterisation to represent the subject of isolation.

Comments (0)