Damien Serban - Portfolio Viewing
Posted by Jenn | Posted in 3rd Year Posts, contact report, Portfolio Viewings | Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010



Earlier on this year, I came across a filmmaker called Damien Serban and emailed him with questions about his work. I was especially drawn to his Experimental pieces:
http://www.damienserban.com/filmo/xp.php
He kindly emailed back with answers to my questions and told me to keep in touch.
I needed 1 more portfolio viewing, done digitally, through email, I admire Damiens work and I thought it would be a good idea to ask him to have a look at my own work and see what he his opinions are of it, and any advice he may have.
He has very kindly looked at my work and given me a response to it:
Hello Jenny,
I have watched your work online.
I like a lot of what I see... I feel a bit out of place to tell you what I think because I don't consider myself to be any kind of authority in experimental films or art in general... but you asked for it !
The body, as you point out has some successful parts and some less successful, what I like personnaly is when you don't understand what's going on on the screen, when you recognize just enough to think you know what you're seeing just to be proven wrong by a movement, a color, a change in shape. I think the parts where you fully understand where is the body and where is the video projection are less interesting.
The Rhythm of the Body seemed to me a little more "classic". The editing works well with the music/rhythm, but the overall film with flashes of eyes and dirty video noise looks a bit too "déjà vu" for me.
Rhythm of People is really nicely done, I like the feeling it creates. Maybe what this piece lacks is a clearer "evolution"... I don't know if you prefer your films to be shown in art galleries or in cinemas... I know I personally prefer the cinema, I consider my films to be... well... "films", and I consider myself a "filmmaker". So when you do a film, whether it is totally abstract, experimental, love story, comedy, documentary, whatever... you need to create something that will take the audience by the hand and bring it with you in your universe. This is only my opinion, but I feel a lot of experimental films in general, lack a sense of dynamics, a sense of evolution... basically a sense of storyline (even without a story).
I like your music quotes, and I like the fact that you didn't just satisfy yourself with one try, but experimented to find what you were looking for... And I think you've managed that in the 3rd quote and particularly in the 4th.
The 4th quote has everything it needs in my opinion, a sense of mystery/abstraction, you think you know what you're looking at but you don't really, a real evolution, you really get drawn in the film and want to see more, to discover what will happen, and of course the images are quite beautiful and go well with the choice of music. It's my favorite of your films.
I hope I'm making sense, and I don't seem to "know-it-all"... because clearly I'm not. But if any of my blabber is useful to you, I'd be glad.
Take care.
Cheers
Damien
My rhythm pieces were done in the 2nd year of my course, they were the very 1st pieces of film I had created, and I enjoyed it so much I realised that working with abstract film is what I would really like to continue with!
'The Body' and 'Music Quote' pieces are my most recent, I actually agree with Damien about the body comments. And once i've graduated I aim to re-edit the piece to let it flow more smoothly and contain more mystery! My favourite piece is also the 4th music quote, this is the most recent i've done, and i feel like i've learnt a lot from that particular brief and it's helped me to understand my own style etc.
I feel that Damien's comments were very honest, and there wasn't anything he had really mentioned that I didn't know already. I am definitely going to take on board his comments about 'Evolution' and having a kind of narrative/storyline to my pieces, I do feel as though I have learnt this already as I am including this within my Final Major Project. It has all been a big learning curve for me!

Comments (0)
Post a Comment