Sarah Pucill - Filmmaker. Email Contact.

Posted by Jenn | Posted in , | Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010

I found a few pieces of films by Sarah Pucill and was immediately drawn to them - Within her films, she creates an 'old style' atmosphere, they are very engaging and extremely well thought out.
This is how her film making style is described on her website:

Sarah Pucill’s films and photographs explore the mirroring and merging we seek in the Other; a sense of self which is transformative and fluid. Her work is concerned with the idea that as subjects we are not separate and draws together surfaces of inside and outside, the animate and inanimate, probing a journey between mirror and surface.
http://sarahpucill.co.uk/

Here are just a couple of the films that really caught my eye, due to the use of the sound technique that she uses.

Mirrored Measure - Sarah Pucill
'Mirrored Measure features two women separated by a generation. The older woman ceremoniously lays a table – she repeatedly spreads a cloth and smoothes it out. The table is set and glasses and jug filled with water. A balanced and controlled ritual follows in which the jug is passed round and water is repeatedly sipped. Water becomes the lens through which we see and the medium through which the protagonists connect. The sense of connectivity is abruptly severed when the first glass tumbles.'

You Be Mother - Sarah Pucill
'Awarded ‘Best Experimental Film’ Oberhausen Short Film Festival 1991 ‘Best Innovation Prize’
Atlanta Short Film Festival 1993

You Be Mother uses stop-frame animation to disrupt the traditional orders of animate and inanimate, the fluid and the solid. An hallucinatory space is set up when a frozen image of the artist’s face is projected onto weighty pieces of crockery atop a table. Ears, eyes, nose and mouth, all become spatially dislocated as a determined hand begins to reposition, decant and mix. Events unfold to the amplified sounds of grinding, pouring and stirring.'


I decided that after seeing these films I had to get in touch with her and maybe ask to see if she could give me any advice on capturing good sound quality. I emailed her just before I visited London and because she is based in London I incorporated questions to do with Galleries in London, and if she could advise any to visit etc.

Hello Sarah
My name is Jenny Huddart, and I am currently in my final year of a Moving Image degree.
I have been researching some of your films and they have really inspired my own work. I am especially drawn to 'Mirrored Measure' and 'You be Mother'. I am inspired by your use of sound within your short films, and for my final major project I would like to record my own sounds for my piece - Do you have any advice on how to get the best sound quality when recording in a certain environment?

When I finish my degree I aim to become a Video Installation Artist - I have noticed that you show your work in Galleries and at film festivals etc - which is what ideally I would like to do also. I was just wondering how you first got your foot in the door? How did you start getting your name known in this industry. If you have any advice for me I would be extremely grateful!

I'm visiting London at the beginning of March, and I have contacted a couple of galleries to see if I could speak to someone for background information on the processes artists go through to get their work shown in galleries. None have replied as of yet. Would you recommend any to me as I see you are based in London yourself?

Thank you for your time

Jenny

Jenny Huddart BA HONS Stockport College. Moving Image, 3rd year. Manchester.


This is what she replied to me with:
Dear Jenny

A good way to record sound is to use an H4 Handy Recorder which you could get from a music store.... Costs around 200 pounds.
You just have to keep sending stuff off. I dont really have an answer else I would be in a better position myself! Just keep making contacts and finding out what the scene is,, ie who shows what where and then let people know who would be relevant what you are doing.

Good luck with your work.

best regards

Sarah

Sarah has asked me to take out a sentence that she had originally put in the email, she wasn't comfortable letting other people see this certain comment she had made, but told me to include the rest as she was comfortable with that.
I'm just grateful that she had replied to me, because any kind of advice that people who are known in this type of industry give me, I think is important to if not take it on board, at least keep it in mind for future preferences.


Milk And Glass - Sarah Pucill
'In this film an interior landscape is scrutinised, and an apparent rational calm is revealed as suffocating. Milk and Glass is an evocative journey from surface to interior – a black-coated mirror, the hollow of a bowl, a cavernous throat; a brush demarcates a line of lip on a flat surface, a mouth doubles up with the bowl and is virtually spoon-fed till it chokes.'
This is my favourite film of the selection on her website due to the technique she uses and the creativeness of the piece! I was mesmerised by it from the very beginning and thought it was very engaging!

Comments (0)